
Play Space was a day of digital held at the Contact Theater and organised by Young members of Contact. The event lasted a full packed 12 hours during which workshops, discussions, interactive experiences and networking took place. Audiences could book into their chosen interactive sessions and come and go at will. Pizza was even provided for those who were in for the long hall! Not bad for a completely free event. Play Space aimed to demonstrate the potential of digital spaces – their collision with reality- their ability to connect art forms and events that are given new depth and potential as they co-exist virtually. It was the first major event that the ‘Young People’ at Contact had organised and although the attendance was not sky high, it was a very well organised and yet maintained a nice fluidity.
I attended a few of the Unconference sessions which were ideas sessions that could be lead and contributed by anybody –but in practice it would have been a bit uncomfortable to shout out that you had an idea you would like to discuss as the starter themed sessions gave it some structure and conversation could flow from there. I particularly enjoyed Curation in a Digital Age, which was lead by Julian Hartley, researcher in Residence at the Whitworth Art Gallery In digital engagement and Steve Devine, new media officer at the Manchester Museum “mixing museum culture with network culture”. I got stuck in with my ideas around the transition from social media to a physical event and the continued cycle of this- so that the social media which got you to the event in the first place also plays a part whilst your there. We had an interesting discussion also about using social media to link curator with audience – to bring to life objects in the museum by relating them to audience’s own objects at home – and those of relevance to the world around them today. The example was of the V&A who tweeted images of ancient volcanic eruptions at the time of our own volcanic ash disaster. A link between ancient collections and the everyday – a sort of reality attached to historic items. We also discussed the advantage of having the ability to interact with an exhibit before you visit – and using social media as a way to make art less scary and more accessible - less intimidating. I really enjoyed bouncing ideas off equally interested individuals. – I also bumped into Ben Le Jeune formerly of All About Audiences who had taken me on as a part time work placement student during my final year of uni. He had some interesting thoughts on how language in the arts can be off putting to audiences and how careful use of ‘friendly’ lanugae helps to make the exhibition appealing. This is an area I had some experience with whilst working with All About Audience’s content editor and doing some previews & reviews for their www.goseethis.com website. I hope to build up more contacts for those involved in shaping the Manchester cultural scene as it remains of real interest to me.
I also grabbed a chat with MIRIAD’s Dr Erica Wright who was demonstrating the bizarre world of Second Life, where she curates a working gallery.
Identity Remixed
Identity Remixed was a workshop lead by Albino Mosquito and comprised of a projection installation with a hanging cube of cloth and screens featuring waves of ambient light and music against a backdrop of changeable film clips. It turns out (not that they let on before the workshop) that the film clips were of the participants discussing what identity means to them. It was an entirely organic experience as he group talked, gave their thoughts on camera, drew, filmed and even manipulated the clips that were playing out- I loved the experience as it evolved. And it was strange to hear my thoughts on how identity constantly changes and how most of our identity is a choice – influenced by the world around, echoing around eerily and melting in with the other film projections.
When We meet Again

When We meet Again, was the most serial experience I have had for a long time! By Me And The Machine, this was literally a wearable film! Immersed by the film goggles your sight is taken over be the screen and the perspective is of the first person. You are guided though a journey in a new body – instructed to look down I could see my body had been turned onto that of a man! I interacted with a ghostly presence of a girl that I could not see but yet who phicially interacted with me in as the film played on.
I loved the confusion of senses and of physical body with virtual reality –
“Through a journey of meeting mediated by technology, blinded by vision, displaced by what you hear and see around you but you know is not “really” there, when we meet again wonders about the function (and de-function) of the body in our media inundated times”
The film ends and there is nobody in the darkened room with you. You simply put down your goggles (the strawberry you end up holding!) and make your way out- finding nobody there added to the blur of reality and left me with goose pimples.



No comments:
Post a Comment