Monday, 17 May 2010

Fudge talk identity



Design studio Fudge is based in Bolton and their Creative director came in to speak to the second years about the work they do. Naturally I gatecrashed! Their Creative director talked of the company’s approach, whereby they include a client right from the initial concept stages of a project through to the finish. Unlike other companies, Fudge encourages their clients to come into the studio and take a look at the initial ideas, including scruffy scamps in layout books, so that they feel part of the process. Fudge approach each project in stages; project scope and evaluation, research, solution, concept and then practice. When researching, Fudge will highlight all possible areas associated with a topic (such as their latest project for racket ball) and will look carefully for what is already out their- the clichés and imagery already used for that topic, cross it off and see what they are left with! A good technique to put you on the right track for original ideas!             Fudge are also not afraid to put forward as many as five variations of an idea to a client, this is in contrast to Hemisphere who were adamant they would only show one design and back it up with well informed decision making! It’s an interesting comparison of companies who have very differing opinions of the level of client involvement you should have.                                                                                     I liked the way Fudge used elements from the logo/ identity designs created for their RacketBall branding and put it onto the business cards as an interesting close up, or section of an image. I also took note of the way they photographed the business card mockups, held in-between a persons fingers and mocked up on the uniform of a player. I think I will take influence from how they photograph their business card as it looked really smart and in situ!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment